I am a self-proclaimed expert in the art of self-love and self-care. I have gone from abusing myself in many ways to falling madly in love with myself on so many levels.
Self-love is such a personal thing that it is almost impossible for me to tell someone exactly how to love themselves, however, I feel I am educated enough on the topic to be able to make suggestions on where to start when someone is first entering their Journey into self-love and self-care.
Routines are very important because consistency is the key to any successful change. It takes 21-26 days for a routine to become a habit. In the beginning you will have to remind yourself that its important to do xyz… however, over time, it will just be a natural part of your day and one that you will look forward to.
For instance, I used to fear mornings…I would wake up with so many thoughts circling around in my head. I would instantly feel alone and anxious. So, when I started on my Journey to healing the first thing I created was a morning routine. I created a beautiful and peaceful morning routine that eased my anxiety, soothed my soul and prepared me for the day ahead. This routine is so amazing that I actually look forward to my mornings now, for the first time in my life.
So I speak from experience when I provide suggestions and ideas that may help you.
Below are ways you can honor yourself each and every day:
- Respect your body – there are so many levels of this topic that I would love to address but will focus on this one area – your body is yours and not to be given to anyone who doesn’t honor you. Respect yourself and others will follow suit.
- Honor where you are at – wherever you are in life, know that you are exactly where you need to be at that moment. Know that nothing stays the same forever, we have free will and the ability to create change and suffering doesn’t last.
- Feel your feelings – whatever they are…feel them. Anxious, sad, mad, happy, elated, excited, nervous. Sit with them and feel them. Let them guide you. If you are unhappy or anxious do not stuff them or hide them, they will resurface with a vengeance. Feel them, and then let them go.
- Treat yourself – what do you enjoy? a coffee at the cafe, massages, dinner with friends, a weekend retreat, yoga a few times a week, facials, hot baths? what is your thing? whatever it is…do it.
- Forgive yourself – we are human and make mistakes, lots of them! Forgive yourself for those you have hurt, for the bad choices you made, for the hurt you caused yourself, acknowledge these things and forgive yourself. Then let it go.
- Tell yourself how amazing you are – because you are smart, kind, loving, sweet, beautiful, hard working and so many other things. Tell yourself. Don’t wait for someone else to validate you, validate yourself.
- Celebrate your wins – there is always a win, even if all you did was get out of bed, get your kids off to school, make it to work on time, those are wins!
- Support yourself through losses – you will have down days, things that didn’t go as planned, someone will hurt you or you will hurt someone. Support yourself through those moments.
- Relax and rest your soul – take some time for you and only you. Give yourself a much needed time out. Read a book, take a bath, walk in the park, get a pedicure, go to the gym, roll out the mat and do some yoga. Whatever it is that fills your soul, do it.
- Find quiet time – create a “quiet zone” at home, decorate that space and deem it yours. Use that space for your quiet time, no screens (TV, iPhone, iPad, etc.). Close your eyes, meditate, listen to music, read.
- Exercise – this topic is in every single blog I write and I will beat it to death. Our bodies need movement. Find what you enjoy and can commit to and move your body. Walking, hiking, yoga, Pilates, Barre, HIIT, boot camp, etc. Get on that treadmill, go to the park, do yoga at home or a studio, download a boot camp app. Just commit to at least 3x a week of movement.
- Do things you love – are you creative – start by doing some DIY projects, enjoy time with people – join or start a MeetUp group, want to learn something new – take a class. The sky is the limit.
- Put yourself first – it is not selfish!
- Set goals – goal setting is very empowering and keeps us on task. It also helps us manifest the things we desire.
- Seek solace in nature – nature is very grounding and provides us with a direct connection to earth. Spending time in nature, either on the beach, in the woods, planting in your garden can help ease anxiety and ground us back to a healthy place.
- Feed your body nourishing foods – you are what you eat, enough said!
I hope you can identify with a number of these suggestions.